A California mother is sending out a warning after she says her daughter died of an allergic reaction to toothpaste.
Monique Altamirano told the story of her daughter Denise Saldate’s death to the magazine Allergic Living.
According to Allergic Living the 11-year-old had a severe dairy allergy.
It reports the mother said a dentist prescribed Denise “M-I Paste 1,” a toothpaste that unknowingly contained a milk derived protein.
Altamirano told the magazine that toothpaste triggered a deadly allergic reaction.
According to the mother the specific prescription toothpaste involved in Denise’s case is not commonly used.
In the report she said they were careful to check food labels for milk and other potential allergens but they did not think to check the toothpaste.