Sign1News delivers news for the deaf community powered by CNN in American Sign Language (ASL).
According to the CDC, puppies sold from several pet store chains have caused more than 100 people to get sick in at least 18 states.
The cause: campylobacter bacteria.
It’s a common bacteria that can trigger diarrhea, stomach pains and fever.
The major problem is the bacteria is often resistant to antibiotics.
The CDC found that puppies bought between January 2017 to February 2018 caused the outbreak.
No deaths have been reported but at least 26 people have been hospitalized.
Most people can usually recover from the bacteria infection in about five days without treatment.
Despite all of this, the CDC says just use common sense when you’re around animals and wash or sanitize your hands before and after handling them.